The Energy Knife was a project based on Pavel Savchuk's knife concepts. High poly, low poly, and texturing took about 4 days in terms of full-time production hours. It uses a PBR-based workflow and is made up of a little less than 4,000 triangles. Rendered in Marmoset 2 Toolbag. Baked using xNormal tangent space.
What Went Well
- Defining main materials (albedo, gloss/roughness/metalness) prior to actually creating the textures
- Learning how to use the Scatter functionality in 3DSMax
What Went Wrong
- Took a little bit longer to unwrap than expected
- Some edges could have used more geo to make them rounder
- Had trouble understanding some key areas of the concept due to contrast and resolution.
What I Learned
- How to use Scattering in 3DSMax
- Working on material seperation prior to texture work saves basic texture tweaking time.
- Use Select and Link to attach high poly to low poly assets to make exploded baking easier.